PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BAA Strike call over pensions
View Single Post
Old 26th Dec 2007, 18:53
Amenhotep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm relatively new to BAA and joined the pension scheme just in time. I'm not part of the union so will have to work on strike day, if it does occur. To be honest, I've no idea what to make of this.

From what I hear at work, most people aren't concerned with new starter pension schemes and are only trying to protect their own. What's more, how is a lowly security officer supposed to know whether Ferrovial can afford to keep the current scheme going. Do I look like a fiancial market analyst? Am I supposed to trust the union to make my decisions for me? The "propaganda" makes it quite clear that union officials are biased towards a strike before even having asked us our own views. If other companies have hit problems financing their pension schemes, is BAA supposed to be immune to this? If BAA keeps the scheme going and later struggles to make ends meet, will my own pension suffer because of it?

I'm a university graduate and see myself as being quite smart . Even I fail to see how anyone can be informed enough to make an intelligent choice, especially in a company where communication seems to be more by chinese whispers than any other method. I'm quite grateful I'm not part of the union, one less thing to worry about.