PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - YOUR INSTRUCTOR--Friend or Foe?
View Single Post
Old 26th Dec 2007, 10:50
machel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good or bad?

My first instructor was excellent. I hadn't got a clue - despite reading the books - about how the ailerons worked in opposition to each other; couldn't figure out what yaw was all about, and just generally couldn't visualise what the books were talking about. My first instructor gave excellent briefings, using a little aircraft which made everything so clear.

He did the same in the air. His demonstrations were very clear, and if I didn't understand something, he talked me through it.

I then went out to Florida to do the rest of my training and thanked God that I had had that first instructor. My instructor in Florida was more intent on having fun in the aircraft himself. He flew it himself for the first 2 hours - told me to sit and watch the view.

He couldn't teach me how to flare. It wasn't just me - there was another guy in exactly the same boat.

When I finally mastered that, with the help of another instructor, I went solo having not done any training for EFATO, stalls, steep turns, slow flight, etc. Basically, my first 14 hours with that guy was spent with him flying the aircraft for the vast majority of the time. He loved showing me how he could get it to fly "backwards" in a strong wind!

I got another, far better and more diligent instructor and went on from there - and completed my training in the 45 hours out there. Fortunately, as I've said, I had that excellent instructor at home who gave me a good grounding in the circuit drills, and who also did some of the handling with me before I left for Florida.

My first instructor was in a school based on an RAF base. The standard of instruction there was excellent and it was the same no matter which instructor you got. They all taught to exactly the same specification.

The contrast between there and the school in Florida was night and day. Some of the instructors in Florida were excellent but there was no policing of the instructors and I know that all of the students in Florida who had the same instructor as I did said exactly the same thing.