PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mega Merged: AsA ATC staffing levels
View Single Post
Old 25th Dec 2007, 22:52
PMS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down due to staff shortage and becoming worse

happy xmas to all you people out there,
this YMML twr closure is only the tip of the iceberg. The TIBA's that have been experienced on the area sectors were the start, but it will now bite very hard in the major capital city towers and the major cap city TMA's (CB incl) because Airservices management in their wisdom, have been hoodwinked by lower management that they have had sufficient numbers thus assisting those managers below to reap their huge bonuses on the back of working the existing staff very hard.

Now DXB, AUH and BAH are recruiting like mad and the aussies have and will feature prominently in the mass exodus that is starting tol happen now. It will not be just some retiring (but this will also accelerate very rapidly), but mainly those moving on to other ATC gigs overseas or some just sick of it and make a career change while they can.

The ME salaries will continue to rise over the next few years, just due to high demand and limited supply. Primarily in DXB but also AUH area and airport/app and Qatar, Bahrain and Muscat. the omanis are very slow but sooner or later they will have to raise the stakes or they will suffer the consequences and they dont like egg on face either.

Australia could very easily lose over 100 controllers due retirement and mainly due to OS recruitment over the next 12 months, so your delays will only get worse. The middle east alone will easily absorb over 150 - 200 controllers this year. Yes safety will be compromised even more as the ATC staff that will be leaving will be the guys with over 5 years experience (except those about to retire) while the least experienced ones.

AsA will never be able to keep up with the salaries there, it will not be tolerated by government here which could lead to a wages breakout.

Aussie controllers are generally held in very high regard overseas, especially in the ME so I would not be surprised to see over 30 plus aussie controllers make the jump over the next six months with more to follow. This will totally screw the management to the point that the new government will take very close look at AsA and its structure at some point in the next 12 mths and could take some very drastic action as this is what will be needed.

One can hope that they likes of their top 10 plus etc will be looking for new jobs within 12 months due to thier lack of management ability and i dare say will find it hard to find new jobs....maybe they can look to Serco as I hear they like to hire incompetent management.