PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Virgin Strike Thread II
View Single Post
Old 25th Dec 2007, 19:33
interpreter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why is there to be a strike?

I write as a regular passenger and businessman of too many years to count and married to a former Air Stewardess from the days when you had to leave if you got married - so yes - you could call me out of date BUT:
Just ask yourself these questions
Why does your employer pay you less than the competition?
Is it because he simply cannot afford to pay more? (That has long term job security implications for you and everybody else in the Company - the City would also be concerned at this )
Is it because he believes the overall package currently on the table is perfectly competitive? (That suggests your union representatives have failed to get the message across that this is not the case with clear irrefutable comparisons and should try again - and harder)
One of these two questions must be the principle one. Striking is a council of last resort and in my experience when faced with such a dilemma I have found the union representatives very strident in their approach whereas a more subtle negotiaing strategy would have been more successful.
From a distance it seems to me that your union has not argued your point satisfactorily. All the threads that I have read have highlighted areas of anomally and hardship and yet they have fallen on deaf ears with the management when presented to them by the union. I am sure your representatives have done their best but in the tough world of business it simply was not good enough.
Finally, always remember that if the employer simply cannot aford to pay more but wants you back at work something has to give somewhere. Job losses? Corporate difficulties? It s not easy and I wish you all the best of luck but strike - never. There is ALWAYS a better way.