PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BAA strike threat.
View Single Post
Old 24th Dec 2007, 21:08
ap9dm1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is that the real world where millions of people haven't made proper provision for their future through ignorance and/or shortsightedness by ensuring they have an adequate pension fund ?
Yep.

The real world where the Chancellor of the Exchequer 10 years ago changed the rules for pension funds to their detriment ?
Unfortunately.

The real world where the MP's who are probably aghast at the impact a strike could have on UK plc, all have final salary index linked pensions ?
Disgustingly so.

Perhaps that's why there is an issue here. Maybe the "real world" just ain't a really good place to be for everyone, and perhaps that's why some think it's worth protecting, or fighting for, what they've got.
I couldn't agree more ... but be cautious of the consequences. Unions have lost faith with the public defending their rights while affecting those who they need to support them .. the public.

No, there are no pensions held in BAA stock - that stock was sold at a profit when BAA was taken over.
Are you sure? BAA is (was) listed on the LSE (I don't know the consequences of the Ferrovial takeover). So pensions and savings will be affected (at least in part) by it's performance.

Now, where do I stand and fight