PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 25 years of holding at Williamtown
View Single Post
Old 24th Dec 2007, 12:55
ozbiggles

Received 37 Likes on 12 Posts
G'day Bell Flyer
I agree with the first part of your post completly. Defence people are not above the law or justified criticism. In fact I have utter disgust for the case you mentioned and hope that those responsible are very old before they see freedom again. I think if you re read some of Mr Smiths posts you will find a number of instances that could be taken as ill directed wide spread criticism of a large group of defence people. I recall a web site somewhere where the owner of that web site mentions he hopes that PPRUNE will be 'cleaned up', I'm sure that person didn't want to see a whole group of people being called callous in their regard for peoples safety, hopeless in running their private business and inferring that the current CDF was lying to him. This would be the same CDF when as CAF was widely regarded as telling the truth about the 'children overboard' saga despite knowing what the possible consequences where.
Back to the thread.
It has been mentioned that the chances of a mid air are remote. The FACTS from an ATSB report are that Australia currently has a mid air once per year. About the same rate as the UK and USA. Mostly in the Circuit area. You could mount an argument the CCT area of WLM and the coastal lane are close....hence the policy of seperating aircraft in that area of the world.
You can also google the aircraft accident sites, put in collision and have a look at some of the stats there. Who knows how many close calls there are that are 1. reported and 2. Not reported.
Now Mr Smith you did leave out a few quotes that referred to defence people as well in one of your rebuttals. I would like to believe that maybe you have let your emotions about this subject use a paintbrush a few sizes to big, I hope so.
So in the spirit of Christmas I have a deal for you. Every time you get held at Wlm, I will donate $5 to legacy (about half the cost of an orbit).I would have suggested a beer, but I'm still a little cranky for that. To start the ball rolling I will send in $20 immediately. I will even send in the receipt to PPRUNE to verify it!