PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are things slowing down?
View Single Post
Old 24th Dec 2007, 09:53
boogie-nicey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are numerous uncomfortable situations and truths that one is faced with in life. This coming economic debacle is one of them. The previous poster mentioned the local town centre being somewhat busy both day and night, well considering the distortion of the festive period that perfectly understandable. The mere fact that the first big wave has yet to impact people lives I can understand why they're all out spending money with gay abandon. When the first hit is felt they'll batten down the hatches faster than the villagers clearing the street before gunfight from an old western, it'll literally happen overnight. Compound that with the usual Christmas and New Year blues and you've got a strong force pushing things downwards. Then as the first effects of this economic stranglehold take place certain industries will begin to wobble and of course leisure pursuits will be hard hit. As redundancies take shape within streets, neighbourhoods, amongst friends and within families the fear will set in very quickly.

Now don't get me wrong I don't wish to dispense all this doom and gloom, far from it but we have to face reality and accept it hurts. I for one have still got my IR conversion to do and what timing I'm practically screwed to say the least and have actively begun to aim for something else to bring in the money during these lean economic times. Even with a Type Rating it's pretty unchanged in terms of chances and with some line training it's still not better What I'm saying is that I have taken aviation from the Vanguard to something that's now supplemented with another plan and no doubt over time it'll take over aviation as my source of income and livelihood. All hopes dashed rather than 'DASH-8', get it Laughing at the pain guess it helps. Anyway back to the subject matter at hand ....

The BBC has become more of a government mouth piece now than ever before and by doing so is undertaking a great dis-service to the British people. The BBC is in denial about the impending economic situation and treats it as if it's surreal or happening elsewhere, not so. People are being given a false sense of security and thus somewhat departed from reality.
The likes of Evan Davis and other cuddly commentators are relaying a =n inconvience on par with the weather man forecasting a week of cold and blustery weather where at worst your fence might fall down, inconvience. This is far from the truth, every fews months the BBC says "well back in 2006" , "2007", "March of this year" and "October of that year we all thought" or were "led to believe", no that's just the BBC getting their optimistic sums wrong and then attempting to put the blame on the sly politician. It's all there to see yet the BBC loves to blame others when their optimistic almost inpractical view doesn't manifest into reality. Even some delluded fool from the Guardian appearing on newsnight claimed that the economic downturn in 2008 would have nothing more than a slight effect. Shocking denial or just an inabilisty to address the gravity of the impending situation, I'd think both.

These are difficult times and lot of people will be loosing their jobs across the country in all industrial sectors. Of course some more so than others and some regions more so than others. Talking to my cousing at a party only last night (top bod at Ernst & Young) says that the fear is it could last right through 2008, 2009, 2010 with recovery starting only then

Who knows what shape we'll be in when the recovery does come about, with other players in the global market we could find ourselves economically demoted as the pecking order is redefined. These aren't the good old days when we could pull over and cool off before setting out again. These days of fierce competition from every corner of the world we are pulling over when we're already laghing behind God only knows how many laps behind we'll be when we finally emerge again. People talk about economic cycles but don't be so naive as to think that there isn't such a thing as political cycle.... the leftists come into power might mean well but utlimately end up ruinging economies and then we are faced with a difficult period where someone has to come into power and clean up, which isn't comfortable neither.