PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Housing at EK
Thread: Housing at EK
View Single Post
Old 24th Dec 2007, 06:55
Wizofoz

Location: Boldly going where no split infinitive has gone before..
Received 44 Likes on 20 Posts
There hasn't been any fluctuations in Dubai rent, only increases!!

Peolpe who bought their own places 5 or more years ago have cleaned up. The current Utilities allowance would more than cover their mortgages and their properties would have increased in value 100%+.

If you were to do the same now, though, you would face a VERY large shortfall on a mortgage of even a modest place. If the property values continue to boom you might do well after a few years. I personally think this would be VERY high risk, as I have been told by numerous people that a correction is on it's way.

The Utilities allowance will not rent you a place even close to the equivelant company accomodation, and the gap between the two would seem to be widening.

My advice would be take company accomodation, as it's a roof over your head whilst you get some local knowledge. It IS a crap-shoot, though people who have been unhappy with their first assignement have been able to negotiate compromises with a bit of persistence.

You can opt out later, but it states very clearly in the contract that you can't opt back in.