Thread: Maximum speed
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2007, 20:51
delta3
Passion Flying Hobby Science Sponsor Work

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Max Speed flutter

Graviman,

You are quite right in your description of the vortex dynamics, but for the moment the precise effects are beyond the current model, although it seams feasible : putting some 2 order dynamic behaviour in the dynamic AoA/Lift/stall curve, cfr for instance Leishman.

As far as your comment is concerned about the R44-I : what will happen first? Well I am not sure about this. It clearly starts vibrating and I didn't want to foul around with this. I'll try a dynamic sim-scenario

The derating of the R44 creates a phenomenon that at high altitudes relatively speaking "more power" is available so hitting limits is easier.

ShyTorque

In the type you are flying (I think) max cruise is 154 against vne 168. I have no personal experience with the type, but pilots flying tell me it can be pretty unconfortable. Apparently you can also get VNE, but the max cruise must be there for fatigue reasons ?

Also very true to keep quite some margins when expecting gusts (for instance flying over mountain ridges with losts of wind), the max speed gust I got was more than 50 knts over the Mount Saint Baume in Southern France, even with a precautionary reduction to 90 this provoked almost instant 140+ knts. Couldn't lower collective more for risk off overspeed, so just shot up in the air to brake off... Because of very low AoA in that case no retreating blade stall occurred.

d3