PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question for those in the sand pits
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2007, 19:28
Chugalug2

Received 236 Likes on 72 Posts
Arthur, mid sixties Singapore, we were allowed to bring in the standard bottle plus two hundred every time we flew back from Borneo detachment, which was very nice as we went there quite often!
Only catch was that all the cigs in Kuching were stamped "HM Ships Only", and were duly confiscated by the Snowdrops at Changi as: "Singapore is not an HM Ship". Our pointing out to them that neither was Borneo was to no avail. In return for our Rothmans, or whatever, we were compensated with 200 Camel cigarettes. Within the laws of slander let me just say that they were not to my taste or anyone else's that I spoke to. Taste was the operative word as you finished up chewing as much of the loose packed leaf as you smoked. The whole affair was a NAAFI wheeze that had a wharehouse full of the stuff that they couldn't move otherwise. I'm surprised that each pack didn't come with the caption "What's good for M&M is good for you"! Word was that the confiscated cigs went back from whence they came to be sold to the next mugs!