PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA and BALPA already agreed on EU 757 Pilots
Old 23rd Dec 2007, 16:59
northern boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tandemrotor

I understand what you are saying, but If the PL pilots join the BA seniority list, then they will be both at the bottom of a very long list for command and also on inferior terms. Whats the point of that? might as well join BA mainline and start off in the same position but on better money and conditions in the first place. In that case, PL may as well be staffed from mainline from the get go and save all the hassle of a separate selection process. The only reason that someone like myself would join PL is the premise that it is a new and totally separate airline which would offer the chance to get on a bit quicker than is available at present. Any connection with BA would be incidental and well above my pay grade.

If I wanted to join BA mainline then I would fill in the application for BA mainline and accept the fact that I would be an FO for however long it takes. At my age, that would probably be a waste of time. PL obviously want experienced bods to get the whole thing up and running. They have plenty of those in mainline so why bother recruiting from outside unless it is just a stick to beat the mainline pilots with? Most people in my situation are well aware of this and would not touch it unless this issue was totally settled and the outfit was to be separated from the BA mainline operation as originally advertised. I'm in BALPA too and have no wish to shaft anyone.

The PL airline would eventually have its own CC which would negotiate for the T/C's of pilots employed by PL and presumably its own AOC in the fullness of time. If BA are setting it up then the BA AOC would presumably be needed for things like ETOPS in the first couple of years.

Tricky one isn't it?