PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FI "you don't fly the plane"
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2007, 13:52
VFE
Dancing with the devil, going with the flow... it's all a game to me.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The majority of students have never asked me how long I have instructed or what my background is. Only ever had one ask how many hours I have and that came after 1.5 years instructing. Confidence is something which you will quickly learn how to exude as an instructor but learn the difference between confidence and arrogance.

Be approachable, have a sense of humour, praise your students, show willingness to help, put their learning before any desire to fly the aeroplane yourself and you will not need to worry about whether they respect you - they just will! When your student is in the room your attention should be directed 100% on them, obviously that's not always practical but if you think that way you'll be onto a winner. Although you may feel that 200 hours, CPL/IR is nothing to shout about, the majority of your students will see this as above and beyond what is required to teach them how to fly.

Only by coming here and reading all the dross about "hours builders abusing the system" and "airline wannabes" will they ever view your role as instructor with a jaundiced eye. The pleasurable reality of everyday club flying and instructing is not reflected too well on these pages because posters like to use their anonimity to air grievances they would normally ignore.

Good luck and you will soon find instructing to be rewarding and great fun!

VFE.