PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Virgin Strike Thread II
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2007, 12:21
TopBunk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Litebulb

1500 people voted no. not just 100 militants as you put it. If these 1500 were so unsure, then perhaps they may not have voted, like the other 1000 members.

Did you read on and see that in the NEXT sentence I said - Likewise, if none of the 1500 are working, its business as usual.

It is a shame that you do not trust crew members to have already worked out the implications of going on strike. Who says that everyone has not made provision for a couple of days action?
I do not think that you understand the human pysche very well.

Striking/not working and picketing are very different animals. OK, so 1500 voted for strike action; how many do you think will actually have their faces seen and photographed by VS on the picket line - for sure that is what will happen. What happens then in future, the management know who the 'trouble makers' are and they may well be 'marked' people.

That fact will deter many from being on the picket line, hence my comment of '100 militants'.

There is already a poster above saying that they voted yes to strike, but won't due to financial reasons.

There is a big difference between putting a tick in a box to strike and actually walking out (as opposed to calling in sick).

The no(n)-voters are unlikely to strike, but may well go sick instead. Ok, you could argue that it has the same affect in that people are not at work, but the company will see it as a lack of solidarity.

Be in no doubt, the propaganda campaign will unnerve and terrify the young cabin crew members who may think right now that it is a laugh when they are in a group; but when sitting at home with a £120 phone bill, £500 rent to pay and £1000 on the credit cards from Xmas, there will be many people in tears and calling the company in desperation.

It's not a question as to whether or not I trust crew members who have voted yes, I am irrelevant in what happens as I have no vested interests as I work for BA.

All I am doing is pointing out the likely roadmap for the next days and weeks so that you may be aware of the possibilities and think through the implications/consequences.