PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet 2 737 Declairs fuel PAN (2/10, Spelling.... see me.)
Old 23rd Dec 2007, 10:24
Tandemrotor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chesty Morgan

I'm staggered you are a pilot! (apparently)
The weather at all UK airports is below your minima, and is due to stay that way forever(!), you have umpteen hours of fuel onboard. What do you do? Wait until you are in a fuel emergency/low fuel situation or land regardless?
In the real World, in such circumstances, you would be legally required to nominate 2 SUITABLE diversions, BEFORE TAKE OFF.

You would be stupid to waste this diversion fuel getting yourself into a situation where you had to land below minima!

As has been pointed out, you would be breaking the law, not to mention, potentially operating outside the capabilities of the aircraft/approach aids!

I didn't realise there were so many cowboys around!

I accept that there may be incredibly unusual situations, totally outside the control of ANY crew, whereby a landing below minimas is the only option. But it is absolutely a last resort, whose safety cannot be assured.

When there was ALWAYS a better choice of diversion just down the road, I think this crew (and you) would be hard pushed to justify such an act!

They have broken no rules. Though from what you have written, you might have!

Last edited by Tandemrotor; 23rd Dec 2007 at 11:22.