PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LUTON - 6
Thread: LUTON - 6
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2007, 09:10
Buster the Bear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grrr

Due to a close connection with the man in my link above, I know why Ryanair moved to Stansted.

Passengers passing through Heathrow and Gatwick were allegedly subsidising the move East. Construction of the 'new' Stansted was paid for by airlines and passengers flying out of other London airports

Luton was never allowed to compete on equal terms due to Government policies, having sold the BAA off in 1987, it knowingly allowed what is now outlawed (cross subsidisation). The recent fee rises at Stansted are as a direct result of this being stopped at last.

You then have to add into the equation the fact that Luton Borough Council was unable to borrow large to invest in the development of its flagship.

Guess what?.......Shortly after LBC decided to go down the route of placing the airport out to concession, the Government lifted the restrictions on Local Authorities being able to borrow! Surely the fact that the BAA had full time lobbyists working in Westminster did not influence Government policy? Didn't someone get a peerage that was involved with the concession policy?

What I can say with full confidence is that Luton was never allowed to compete with Stansted equally.

Personally, the turning point came when Go-Fly came within a gnats whisker of commencing operations from Luton, but the golden carrot being dangled was too much to resist and Stansted became their home.

What is frustrating is that the concession has stifled development of Luton, to the point that if another large airline wanted to move their operation, the lack of infrastructure would probably make this impossible?

As per 'the short runway' - I honestly didn't realise that Ryanair could not take a full load to Malta from Luton..ha ha ha....

Chopper69, you are full of the stuff bears do copisly in the woods, you do keep us entertained though. I suggest you check history and the facts. Stansted became London's third airport not buy chance or location, but due to central Government collusion with the BAA (which it had once owned), in my educated opinion of course. Then again, what do old, scruffy and smelly bears know?

LTNman, I like the book..ha ha ha..!