PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BAA strike threat.
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2007, 00:23
ap9dm1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I sympathise, but it really is a case of "welcome to the real world". Like it or loathe it, the market dictates these sorts of decisions and it's rampant in every industry ... it's only a matter of time.

Bottom line: cost is everything nowadays. And as much as I'd love for EVERYONE to have decent remuneration packages that include the likes of final salary pension schemes, it's just not a reality anymore as costs are squeezed and margins are increased.

IMO, the government(s) have done little to facilitate the industry as a whole - they seem bent on appeasing so called "green" doers to win votes. let me give you an example: in Ireland, I understand a large portion of the green party took the liberty of indulging in a visit to the recent Global talks miles away ... ahem... carbon footprint - I rest my case! And as I understand it, security policies are dictated to airport operators who then have to foot the expensive bills.

Where's the balance here for operators (airports and airlines) when ultimately they have to make a profit. Something has to give. 411A makes a good point, I avoid LHR and LGW for the same reason .. result is ... business away from UK to Europe. And Woofrey also makes an interesting point ... the days of nurtured industry relevant staff making decisions leans to highly (overly) paid businessmen and women in the interests of the shareholder in a lot of cases. These shareholders (I might add), are most of us here with pensions that are held up in companies such as BAA and airlines. If THEY don't perform, we all lose out.

Interesting dilema

Again, I do sympathise, with BAA and UNITE. Somehow I think, between them both, someone dropped the ball on communication!!!

One word for UNITE - holding me to ramsom won't work.

Last edited by ap9dm1; 23rd Dec 2007 at 00:35.