PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CORK - 5
Thread: CORK - 5
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2007, 20:58
en2r

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think we should be too hard on Cork. I certainly wouldn't say Shannon is running rings around us. We do have a number of new routes for 08, Plymouth, East Midlands, Glasgow Prestwick, Blackpool and Carcassonne as well as a full year of Bratislava. Bar Carcassonne all these routes are being provided through an increase in capacity, not any other cutting of routes. While losing Budapest is a disappointment, Cork will still almost certainly have a healthy increase in passenger numbers for 2008. Shannon on the otherhand will probably have a decrease due to the loss of the Heathrow service, or if things go really well next year they might just about break even with passengers. Things aren't that rosy at Shannon! There have been widespread rumours about what Aer Lingus will do at Shannon from next October. Chicago seems almost certain to go. Boston and New York are less certain, some say they will be axed and some say there will just be a decrease in frequency. It will also be interesting to see how many carriers will stay at Shannon for winter 08/09. I suspect some previously year round services may become summer only from then. I think Cork may well get an Aer Lingus long haul service in 2009 when the new fleet starts to arrive. There was even talk some time ago of the possibility of a Cork-Belfast-New York Aer Lingus service. Its no easy task to get a long haul service. For all we know, the CAA may have been working away behind the scenes to get one but have failed so far.