PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Safety Brief - Is it compulsory to listen?
Old 22nd Dec 2007, 18:36
llanfairpg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This part I find interesting
Can I first of all compliment you on finding me interesting it dosnt happen very often, so my wife says.

My question is....if the passengers who took their personal belongings with them were found to have ignored the safety briefing...and the briefing tells people not to take personals in the event of an evacuation...are they able to sue other bodies when their actions may have endangered others aswell?

Can you prove someone has not listened to the information?
More importantly can you prove some has UNDERSTOOD the safetly briefing. A Japanese passenger listening to a safety briefing will not probably fully understand it if they do not speak English. Also do not forget we sometimes carry people who are mentally impaired, (yes apart from the crew)
I would say as a non lawyer that you could sue someone for endangering an aircraft if they stopped to pick up personal belongings. The safety certificate given to a public transport aircraft which I believe means it can be evacutaed in 90 secs using all exits, is not based on picking up personal belongings but what do you call personal belongings, if I take my copy of 'Airline Babes' thats personal belongings, however if I try to collect my Double Base it could be a very different matter.