PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Safety Brief - Is it compulsory to listen?
Old 22nd Dec 2007, 18:03
Married a Canadian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I find it funny that as so many people seem to have heard the safety briefings a thousand times before and don't need to hear them again...that on all the flights I go on there still seem to be numerous people standing up with the seatbelt signs on, undoing their seatbelts whilst taxiing.....going to sleep without seat belts on etc etc. I annoyed a passenger next to me by refusing to let him stand up when we were flying through severe turbulence. When I pointed to the seatbelt sign...his response was "So?"

These people are often the ones who don't need to hear the safety brief again for the "1000th" time...and yet don't seem to feel as though it applies to them when parts of it are used on a "normal" flight. And then whose actions can compromise others.

What steams me most of all...and I mentioned this on another thread. The Air France incident in Toronto...which the report came out last week..made note that over 50% of passengers stopped to collect their personal belongings from the overheads before exiting the aircraft. Are these the same people who have heard the safety brief for the "1000th" time?? I seem to recall the briefings saying not to take personal belongings with you?

Lord Lucan ...if you are have been flying for 35 years...do you skip all preflight checks cos you have a reasonable idea of what to do? You must have done them over a thousand times? What changes from being pilot to being a passenger??

Double standards by passengers and crew alike it seems. For 2 minutes of a flight that can be anything up to 13 hours...we seem to be above something that is designed to provide information to help us in the event of something going wrong. And yet time and time again it is shown that passengers don't know about the seatbelt signs or hand luggage..or opening a compartment so nothing falls out etc etc etc. Sigh!!

Still if anything...I hope that at least in providing the briefing the airline is covered so if someone sues over something that went wrong which is talked about in the briefing the airline can say "Sorry tough luck!"