PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FI course abroad and Aerofan (Madrid)
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2007, 15:56
LH2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wondering how the conversation went from FIC to PPL... but I will answer in anticipation of your post and mine being moved back to whichever thread they were originally intended for.

I wouldn't recomend you do your PPL in Spain, the differene in price is not that big
Even if hour for hour it were not that big (which at a saving of 30-40% I would say it is), for most of the year the weather affords greater continuity which generally translates into reduced hours and reduced ancillary costs (accom, food, etc.)

The real snag appears to be all the bureaucratic rubbish that appears to go with it, even if you can speak enough Spanish to sit the exams (they are only available in that language).

If you do not mind learning some french you can check prices at french aeroclubs
Again, the difference in price is not significant compared to Spain. In this case, you have to factor the higher fuel costs in France compared to the generally lower admin costs of aeroclubs. In this case, apart from good weather (in the South) you also have the advantage of a well developed GA scene and extremely competent and helpful ATC. Not sure what it's like on the bureaucratic front, although I have done training in France, it's gone on my UK licence.

I would check USA prices
I'm sure flying stateside must be an interesting experience, appart from affordable, but unfortunately visiting the US has become so backwards that I do not even go there for work these days, let alone recreationally. Getting a PPL is not a big deal and it hardly justifies travelling halfway across the world for it.

Portugal could also be a good option
Any specific info / experience with it? Not much found here on Pprune.

In my opinion, the way forward is more UK registered facilities based in Southern Europe. To my knowledge, presently there is only one of them. This would combine nicely the advantages of weather and lower operating costs with the relative straightforwardness of the UK system.

HTH