PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Safety Brief - Is it compulsory to listen?
Old 22nd Dec 2007, 15:53
Lord Lucan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Safety Brief - Is it compulsory to listen?

I saw the following statement made on the UK Guardian "Comment is Free" Blog today. And I wondered if this could be true?

It all sounds a bit much to me!

Personally I fly only freight, but I would be interested in what passenger captains would do if they heard their cabin crew issue such threats to passengers.

A plane trip on a UK airline, from Alicante to London. Most of us on the plane fly two or three times a year.

Airline stewardess demonstrates life jacket while plane revs engines at start of take off. After the first 10 times we know the drill. Man sitting on a seat in the aisle continues with book. He's seen the drill before, knows where the exits are, no need to watch.

Stewardess insists he watches. Man explains he knows it all by heart and recites the relevant passage. Stewardess tells him he has 3 seconds to put book away, sit up and watch, else the plane is stopped, he gets slung in jail and faces £5,000 fine for causing a safety hazard in plane.

Man says, very well, I would like to take note of your name. Quick as a flash, stewardess turns over badge and refuses to reveal identity.
http://commentisfree.guardian.co.uk/...tolerance.html

I have been flying as pax on average about once a week, for years and NEVER listen to the brief, and would get really miffed if I were treated in such a manner.