PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Iberia IB6166, BOS-MAD, 2nd Dec, Cowboys !!!!
Old 22nd Dec 2007, 12:33
Romeo India Xray

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to interject and question why the mantra of CRM should cease when a flight has ended, and is it not possible that SLF could become part of the CRM loop?

Two days ago I came from work and then flew as SLF with another carrier. The cabin attendant at the overwing station struck up a conversation with me about icing conditions and the fact that there was a slight build up of ice. Indeed there were a few traces of hoar frost and the cabin attendant asked me if it would be prudent for him to inform the commander (who had reportedly already been keeping a watchfull eye on the wing prior to boarding). As far as I know, all views were communicated and the commander made a good decission to de-ice.

So now I would ask all the nay-sayers here, at what point do we exclude the SLF from our CRM practices?

When they spot an engineers maglite in the spoiler recess do we tell them "you are uninformed, your observation is not welcome"

When they spot a noticable "tear" in the skin while boarding (Aloha 737), do we say "go away, we know what we are doing", or do we check it out?

How about when the SLF is a fellow professional and is brought into the loop, should Cpt Haynes have told Danny Fitch to politely go away back in Soix City?

So what is to say that brining SLF into the loop is detrimental after the event?

IMHO John Marsh brought the non official information he had heard to the attention of a competent authority, in the interests of safety. The competent authority (FAA in this case) has the ability to deduce from the available evidence (METAR, ATC recordings) if there is any substance behind the concern and act on it as fit.

Why are we all so scared of this process? Which is better - SLF bringing a genuine safety concern (even if it is based on "rumour", although thanks to tapes this one isnt) to the attention of an authority equipped to deal with it, or would we prefer them to be sending said stories to the press?

LTD gets my vote for bringing this to IB's attn, and I can see no way that John Marsh has tried to do anything other than facilitate safety for all of us. As long we have followed SOPs and the report is made to a competent authority, why do so many on here seem to be so resentfull (even scared)?

RIX