PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do you really Want to Do This...??
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2007, 11:06
Flugplatz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear Tamar 17,

From what you have said so far I would agree with the other posters that you certainly have been bitten by the flying bug! and in fact I would say that you have already shown the chief qualification for an aviation career - a true love of flying.

I am now a career helicopter pilot and have had some fantastic experiences flying in amazing locations around the world. I wake up in the morning and (weather permitting!) literally cannot wait to go flying! I love the feeling of 'blasting off' from an airfield or helipad early in the morning and heading out for a day of challenging, true avaition, far above my cares and worries on the ground. True, it is a form of escapism but to me it feels like such a natural environment that I never for one moment have questioned my choice; in fact now I am more worried that I might not be fit for anything else! (motivation wise).

Don't worry about your parents thinking you are in some sort of daydream, mine were the same; it sounds like yours can't really understand your passion for flight; they are perplexed. To some, flying will always be seen as a sort of juvenile endeavour a waste of talent and ability which could usefully be employed elsewhere in professions and industries with more social cachet and better prospects. You will have to live with the fact that many people, even your nearest and dearest, do not take aviation as a career seriously, unless it is wrapped in some conventional cover such as Airline jet pilot/Military pilot, (where the respectability of the institution lends credibility).

If it is any consolation, I was in the military but was rejected for flying training despite passing the OASC tests several times (RAF Flying Scholarship, AAC) and also passed flying grading on Chipmunks. I am still not sure why I was ultimately rejected (not too impressive on the final interview! and no degree maybe, plus those of my fellow candidates who did get on the APC were, I have to say, extremely impressive individuals!). The point is that I still loved flying and although one avenue had closed, I then set off down an alternative route but with the same overall goal. That is what you must do (sounds like you're doing it already!). There is a huge amount of randomness in life and flying is no exception; just having flying ability is no guarantee of anything, luck and persistance are equally (more?) important. Remain positive! time will give you perspective. You can't just 'turn off' a fascination with flight!

I know it can seem depressing now that the military has denied you, you will have to fork out huge amounts of money, probably get into debt and have a number of years living in near poverty; but the rewards are there just the same, it will just take a little longer! In fact there is really a lot more opportunity in civvy street, a lot more variety and lot less artificial constraints; you are much more a master of your own destiny. There is a worthwhile and rewarding career for you, but you have to pursue it with vigour. Don't give up and you will find that you will enjoy a fascinating career that will be deeply satisfying and rewarding, and great fun!

Flug