PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Virgin Strike Thread (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2007, 07:40
vs_lhr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If people who carry out this action increase the company's offer, will those people who do not back the strike, surrender any increase over 2%?
No, it would need to be equitable otherwise it would be discriminatory.

From the BBC News this morning;
Thousands of workers are being short-changed by firms who refuse to pay the national minimum wage, a survey for union organisation the TUC found.
Around 150,000 staff are being denied rate of £5.52 an hour for adults and £4.60 for 18 to 21-year-olds, it says.

Those in restaurants, hotels, cleaning, hairdressing and childcare were said to be the most likely to be underpaid.
Puts your rather privileged part-time jobs into perspective. Just think, you could have your hand down a toilet every day for five and a half quid and hour. Hmmm... A few trips a month abroad.

For those withoutthe data, the CAA list the average crew earning for each airline they are:-

BMI 12.9K VS 13.3K XL 15.1K Thomas Cook 15.4K Monarch 15.5K Thompson 15.7K My travel 16.5K ist Choice 18.7 K Easyet 19.3K and......................B.A. 27.9K !!!
This intrigued me, as I've never seen the CAA data before, and the figures you provide seems to contradict first-hand reports posted here. But I've searched CAA.co.uk, and couldn't find reference to this. Please provide a link so we can verify your findings. Of course, what this ignores is the package, benefits and terms and conditions of employment. How many trips does that Easyjet crew have to do? Does anyone here currently with VS really want to be shuttling hen parties between Luton and Amsterdam from here to eternity?

Nobody denies that BA crew earn more; and few would deny that VS crew deserve more. I really do support the crew's desire to earn something closer to the BA rates. However, I also think the increments should be in manageable steps, and that some compromise needs to be made by crew to allow for the increase in salaries. Standby has to change - if for no other reason because of the hideous amount of sickness in crew, and that's a problem of your own making. Benefits will also have to be looked at. It's a simple case of not having your cake and eating it.

The situation we're in now, however, is that greed has pushed everyone in the company into a difficult and dangerous position. Not only will Airshare be in jeopardy, but also other peoples salaries and indeed jobs if the strike bites too hard. The most ludicrous situation is that there still is no clear indication of what the crew demand actually is. Until the crew can say, with one clear voice, exactly what they want, we're in the same situation as the previous negotiation rounds where the union and the company both thought they had agreement.

Now it has reached this stage, neither side can afford to blink first. If the crew give in, then the company know their future negotiations will be powerless. If the company give in, then staff know all they have to do is threaten strikes and that'll cripple the company eventually. Both sides have much to lose, but my guess is the company can ride this out far longer than the crew. Are you ready for the long haul? Pun intended.

Apparently the Virgin Atlantic dollies are downing tools in January. I wonder what Sir Dickie will do about this? I think the management will capitulate as they're well know to have poor pay when compared to other UK crew. I believe they're planning two 48 hour actions.
Er... Have you read any of the previous 6 pages of posts?