PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet 2 737 Declairs fuel PAN (2/10, Spelling.... see me.)
Old 21st Dec 2007, 20:52
vespasia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mach Trim
Think you may have missed the point a little:
"Shall I conveniently forget the extra few knots of wind that might put you out of crosswind limits?"
As an atco how do you know the sop,company or afm crosswind limits or the limits and experience of the pilot on that type?
By the way in regards to crosswind limitations. It is maximum crosswind demonstrated for takeoff and landing. It is the maximum demonstrated under certification by a test pilot. Correct me if I am wrong.
If you surpass these limits it is your ass if theres a problem but you may legally do so the limitation is Max demonstrated. Any lawyers out there ?
Which is exactly why I will always give you the actual wind and not try to second guess you!
I requested priority without a pan pan and mayday once.
After holding for 10 minutes.
I was at minimum diversion fuel and I stated to a controller in Barcelona either clear you me for the approach in 3 minutes or I will divert to my alternate, LEGE. They did not want committ to a EAT, after repeated requests
for one.
I was then cleared for the approach. That day I was lucky, of course being at final reserve and a second diversion is a different story.
Planning for 2 diversions will mean a lot of fuel and reports to the Chief Pilot.
Obviously can't speak for the controller above, but again, in the UK, you should be given the EAT. If I couldn't give you an EAT and you responded as above you would be given an IMMEDIATE route to your selected diversion airfield. As in my previous replies, if you declare a Pan you WILL get priority. If you have enough fuel to reach your diversion what makes you think you should have priority over everybody else who has also been holding?
Yes he probably will not be able to help you on a bad day but he may give you priority. Yes it is his or her right not to until you declare a PAN or Mayday
it depends on the situation.
See above!
Before getting to the pan pan stage where you might go into final reserve,
why not keep the controller in the loop earlier?
Agree 100 percent. If you let me know early, I can plan for the situation, perhaps avoiding the need for you to declare a pan at all.
"If you simply ask for a priority approach due fuel you won't get it."
I disagree with this statement also.
You can disagree all you like but in the UK you MUST declare a Pan for this before being given any priority.