PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cold weather ops
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2007, 20:16
safetypee

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
JF, IIRC Saab and ATR introduced changes which affected speeds, rotation, and climb schedules following investigation into the effects of thickened de-icing fluids (type 2 & 4). Other turboprop and RJ manufacturers conducted tests, and for those results I know of, there were either no effects from the de-icing fluids or the effects were within the existing performance tolerances. I wont’ mention types as all relevant information will be in the flight manuals.
I believe that the history of performance degradation due to the application of de-icing fluids was investigated many years ago and was based on early 737 aircraft. Although some small change in performance was detected it did not warrant any performance correction. One of the assumptions was that a high percentage of the fluid was blown off the wing before rotation; it is this area which has subsequently found to be in question for lower speed aircraft and when using the modern thicker fluids.
Refs
Air Dynamic Effects of Deicing/Anti-icing Fluids, Service Letter, Boeing Commercial Airplane Company, December 2, 1982. (Via AC-117 1982)
Transport Canada TP 13479E Contaminated Aircraft Takeoff Tests for the 1998-99 Winter.
ATR “Be prepared for icing” Oct 2003. Ref to FCOM 2. 02.08