PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LHR mixed mode proposal
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2007, 15:52
Giles Wembley-Hogg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I understand what you are getting at. My concern is for traffic that has been established, THEN blunders. Not a frequent occurance I grant you, but on a clear day, we can often see who is flying on raw data down the approach. I suppose as long as 1 dot of LOC deviation does not trigger a blunder, then we'll be OK. I can't remember if use of the autopilot/flight director is mandated or advised when using this procedure.

HD

You are right I don't have the knowledge and I never meant to get drawn in to a discussion about TEAMing. I was using it to illustrate that I can no longer in good conscience use Heathrow as an example of all the best ATC practices combined and how the new proposal simply confirms this.

I could also have used the runway crossing/line up phraseology as as example. The constant stream of clearances, including the traffic to be followed plus the entry point to the runway for all departures means that it is no longer obvious when someone is lining up from an intersection because their clearance sounds the same as everyone else's. Hardly a major issue, but it does show that SA has been reduced by the procedure adopted, and thus Heathrow can no longer be used as an example of where the phraseology used is excellent.

It is important to point out that it is not the ATCOs fault. They are doing a great job. It is the procedures that are less than perfect, and I don't understand the reluctance to change them or consider alternatives.

G W-H