PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pig Escape Capsule
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2007, 02:40
Samuel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't recall two aircraft, but then there have been a few cases of Coonawarra red in the meantime! The aircraft lost thrust due to water ingestion and as they were rapidly running out of runway they[ correctly] decide to leave! The approach end of 09, the runway they left via, had a earth ramp down to the bomb dump service road [there are bunkers to the right of its exit] and the aurcraft went down the ramp, and into the paddocks at the end. The capsule came down very near to the remains of the airframe and the crash crew placed a vehicle between the capsule and the burning bits.. As I recall, there were no injuries other than an element of surprise at the sudden transition from aircraft to ground.

There was a sequel to the story in that the RAAF sent over an investigation team headed by a Gp Capt, who became very friendly with the then Firemaster, a Warrant Officer. Come time for the team to go home and a Herc arrives to collect them. The Duty Free they had purchased down town was in the Customs lock-up in stores and , as usual, the Duty Storeman couldn't be located. Grp Capt rings up the Firemaster and explains that "we need to go and can't get the duty free etc", and said WO, says: "No worries Sir, I have a key" He opened up the main store, and produced a crowbar for the lock-up!
Headlines in the Dominion newspaper said, "RAAF accident inquiry head praises RNZAF crash crew".