PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Interesting note about AA Airbus crash in NYC
Old 20th Dec 2007, 21:17
DozyWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
airsupport:
...and POSSIBLE contributory causes gained from first hand detailed experience with these Aircraft in NY.
But the problem is that you are presenting your opinion of that cause as a fact, and taking it personally when anyone makes any point which deviates from your opinion.

So in your experience, the composite A300 vertical stabiliser and rudder unit retains water, which has to be drained. Great, you've put forward another factor that might be relevant and I'm sure that's appreciated.

However, you then go on to push it as a major cause despite the evidence to the contrary - for example, if the vertical stabiliser on AA587 failed at a load that was considerably in excess of what it was designed for, then it looks like the structural integrity of the tail was not significantly weakened.

The tests in the wake of the Air Transat accident are to check for presence of a disbonding problem caused by corrosive hydraulic fluid - *not* water. However there is a possibility that these tests may show that the constant freezing and unfreezing of water does cause a problem, but we're not going to find out until the tests are finished.

So feel free to elaborate on your idea and engage in the debate, but it's a bit of a stretch to say that you're being bullied, when all that is happening is that other posters are saying the evidence they've seen points to the contrary of your theory - that's just debate. No-one's denigrating you or dismissing your ideas as irrelevant, just that they disagree, given the evidence they've seen. From my point of view, I do have an open mind about both incidents, but the fact that both major manufacturers were concerned about the AA training program and issued bulletins to that effect suggests that pilot input concerns are at least as relevant as your concerns about materials used in construction.

I know that there's a significant number of people on here and in aviation that reflexively distrust composites, but aside from the weight benefits inherent in using them the fact is that aluminium is a finite resource, so we're going to have to find a way of making aircraft from other materials at some point, if we want to continue to fly.

Anyway, I hope you don't disappear entirely, because this is an issue that you're obviously passionate about and your experience is useful in these discussions. But the folk on here are all intelligent and passionate people so a thick skin is sometimes necessary.

All the best and have a great Christmas.