PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Virgin Strike Thread (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2007, 18:56
Armed&Crosschecked

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vsfsm

Firstly, thanks for responding to my thread, even though you evaded the questions posed... lol
Secondly my head is not in Virginland, and everything certainly isn't rosy!
My head is though, securely screwed on my shoulders and I try to stay level headed at all times, looking at both sides of the argument.
Having been in this industry for nearly 15 years now, I have seen many changes to working conditions take place, some good and some not so good.
I agree with you completely that the Virgin payscale is different to that of, say, BA, however as I said before, one cannot compare Virgin to a much larger airline and may I say, one with a much stronger union.
Historically, Cabin crew have always considered themselves to be paid less than they are worth, but there are also many benefits and Virgin has some of the best in the Industry (I know that's not part of the salary, but it is still a benefit).
I agree that in a perfect world, all crew in all relative airlines should receive similar pay packets, but it just doesn't work like that. And as long as there are a queue of wannabe trolley dollies wanting to fly, then massive changes won't take place, they can't or an airline could fold.
That's the stark reality.
As many have said before in previous posts, small steps, a little at a time and one could hopefully reach a common goal... this it seems is a long way off.
Do you honestly believe that Virgin was holding out, like a game of chicken, knowing how detrimental the publicity was going to be and the long term effects that will be felt due to a strike?
brand image is very important to Virgin, its what sets us apart from the rest. Do you think they would take that chance of ruining it if there was a way of avoiding it....?