PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Virgin Strike Thread (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2007, 18:42
vs_lhr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vsfsm,

You really must stop talking for the "majority". State your position and let others make up their own mind.

For the record, I believe crew do deserve a better deal in line with the industry average. However, I don't believe that it can be achieved so quickly and I certainly don't think strikes are the way to achieve it.

As far as I can tell, the company are playing hardball and because it's only 30% voting for the strike, they are probably confident they can get through the industrial action with minimum disruption. So crew are left with no decent offer, out of pocket and achieving nothing. The knock-on effects of the damage caused to the brand because of the strike means less business, and less business means withdrawal of some routes (just like post 9/11), and less routes means redundancies.

All this because a minority of crew were too impatient to take a leaf from the pilots negotiations and do it a step at a time. And I don't think the union are blameless either, as they clearly didn't know what they were asking for, meaning the strike ballot was a car crash just waiting to happen.