PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Daily life in DXB
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2007, 15:38
mensaboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So what if LHR is ''one of the grumpy boys'' as you put it? Is this another case of shoot the messenger? Although your attempts at giving school price comparisons suggests you believe in your message and simply do not agree with him. I would be more inclined to take your side had you not stooped to name calling.
I am one of the happy boys but I completely understand LHR's viewpoint.
It just goes to show that this place is great for some and terrible for others. Many factors contribute to this but I have found from experience that these factors are not related to personality but more related to things such as family circumstances, luck wrt upgrades or accomodations and other important factors beyond our control, and very often previous job experiences.
I too have sunk to name calling when I believed that someone had an alterior motive behind their posts. And yes, I have been wrong at times and still feel ashamed at jumping to conclusions. I am the first person to rip into someone who gives a false impression of the 'wonderfulness' of Dubai because I think that might lead people to make decisions that they might regret. On the contrary, when someone portrays Dubai or EK in a bad light, although I may disagree, I don't find that as reprehensible.
I think that at times many of us take out our frustrations on this forum and sometimes it is not exactly accurate. But there are also the vocal few who deliberately mislead readers with the intent....... at least I believe........ of securing their own future here without regard for the well being of those they are misleading. Capt A was a classic example of this but there are many other more subtle examples.
This place and this job can be great for many people. It is a helluva lot better than anything I have been used to in the past...... but beware. Everyone single person who reads these forums to glean information should come to Dubai with their eyes wide open. It can also be a hell for some people who come here.