PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 25 years of holding at Williamtown
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2007, 12:31
BATTERED SAV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dick, maybe you have arrived over Nobbies at a time when the RAAF have their aircraft arriving back from exercises ( this can mean anywhere from 2 to 14 aircraft within a 20 minute period). At this time most aircraft are held, whether VFR, IFR, on the ground or in the air, you would understand why when standing on the ground at YWLM watching formations of F18's joining overhead the field.
I cannot confirm, but my understanding is that YWLM is also a training ground for military Air Traffic Controllers, as well for many foreign military ATC personnal (this I cannot confirm but of general understanding at YWLM).
Lastly, from my experience at Willy operating in and out on a daily basis for 7 years, VFR aircraft are frequently not held when transiting north and south along the coast at 500ft, instead ATC will issue us with a take off clearance from RWY 12 with a requirement to stay 1 mile west of the coast line on departure.
Yes Dick they are not perfect and could take some notes from their civil counterparts at YSSY airport, but at the end of the day they run a different operation with different rules and procedures. You must also remember they are now dealing with an enormous growth rate of civil traffic at YWLM which will continue into next year (which I hear they are not happy about).
The big one Dick. It is their airport and their airspace, I personnally find them very accommodating to civil private, freight, charter and RPT operations.
BS.