PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Parliamentary Questions concerning Hercules Safety
Old 20th Dec 2007, 10:53
airsound

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Kam
I’m delighted you “stole” my quote from the Nimrod page - in fact I’m a bit ashamed I didn’t think to post it here as well, because it is equally applicable to both - as you quickly understood.

For people who didn’t see the original, it’s actually from the Executive Summary of the Columbia Accident Investigation Board into the Shuttle Columbia’s calamitous break-up on re-entry in 2003. Two interesting things about this report: as far as I can see, it was sponsored by NASA (it was certainly published by them), and yet the CAIB was sufficiently independent to be able to be strongly critical of NASA itself; and it was published a mere 6 months after the event (Feb-Aug 2003). I believe the whole document is worth looking at, in the hope that we might learn something from the way America handled this disaster.
http://www.nasa.gov/columbia/home/CAIB_Vol1.html

As for the rest of your post, Kam, I believe you have hit, and are continuing to hit, so many nails smack on the head. Your considerations will continue to inspire many of us, I know.

To misquote you, if I may - “Kell, we know you’re not here for a haircut.” I’m sure that the true nature of your purpose will become clear to the uncaring monolith that is the MoD, if it isn’t already abundantly clear.

All the very best, for Christmas, and onwards.

airsound