PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Hit Back Here
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2000, 23:42
John Nichol

Unhappy

Mickey Mauser,

I don't think anyone is trying to whip up emotions. You just have to look at all of the threads on this topic and the many letters to Pilot mag and the Royal Aeronautical Society to know that there are some strong feelings around.

yoyonow,

Hi, I know what you mean about the logic but you have to read the full BOI to understand how many uncertainties there are in this case. It was unprecidented that the verdict of gross negligence was delivered in a case where there was no CVR/ADR evidence.

I have the full BOI (not the summary or the crew room report) here and there are so many questions unanswered that one wonders why the verdict was brought. Let me explain the fundemental point:

Wratten's analysis is based on the "final flight path theory". The MOD insists it has a "complete and accurate picture of the final 40 seconds of the flight". This is simply untrue. It has two 2D snapshots (one in time one in position)of a partial 3D picture which they have then drawn a straight line through to produce "a final flight path".

I do not say that they are not correct I say that there a number of other posibilities and interpretations of this picture.

I also do not say that the pilots could not have been to blame, I say that there is no evidence that they were.

I know I have many critics but I believe a grave injustice was done here.