PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 25 years of holding at Williamtown
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2007, 09:04
Cap'n Arrr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not sure how familiar everyone here is with Williamtown (and i skipped page 2), but the way it works for lighties transiting is fairly simple.

You have 2 options for transiting the airspace.

1) The Inland Lane - Follows a railway line through the valley up through Dungog and Gloucester. Forced down below the tops of the mountains (no fun on turbulent days, let me assure you), but it is Class G - Can fly through at any time.

2) Willy Coastal - Fly up or down the coast at 500'. Requires a clearance, which is not always available immediately. Heading North, it starts at Nobby's head (where that tanker got beached recently), or heading South it starts, from memory, at Broughton Island (Just off the coast of Nelson Bay, where the Grey Nurses breed).

I have been heading coastal southbound before and had to hold halfway down the lane, before crossing the approach path for RWY 30, due approaching Jet* Airbus. I can tell you, I was much happier holding there, as I saw how bloody close I would have been to the Airbus if I had been let through without delay.

I have had to hold at Nobby's for many reasons, including Military traffic, and inbound/outbound airlines. Each time the reason has been valid enough for me, and I accepted it because I CHOSE to take the more scenic and pleasant route, knowing before I took off that there was always the possibility of having to hold or being completely refused clearance due to it being MILITARY airspace, it's the chance you take, and worst case you can always fly up the inland lane.

I once met an American couple who were flying around the world. They got to the Williamtown control zone at 5,500 feet and requested a clearance across the top. They said it was like Oliver asking for more. The controller was horrified that they would be so audacious and told them to immediately descend to 500 feet – which put them in the salt laden air – and to fly along the beach via the lane. They monitored the approach and tower frequencies and said that the only traffic operating was a commuter aircraft.
If you read the ERSA, it is (or at least was) a requirement for VFR aircraft to plan either inland or coastal lanes of transit. You can ask for another clearance, but you probably won't get it.

- Side note: I have often been given a clearance to track overhead WLM from present position at altitudes 2500' and sometimes lower, so it does get given.

The only aircraft on the frequencies they monitored was a commuter aircraft. It should be pointed out that Willy is also the main fast jet training base in Australia. 76 Sqn (Adv. Hawk Training) and 2OCU (Hornet Conversion) are both based out of there, as well as 3 separate fighter squadrons. These all do training all the time, within Willy airspace (which is also classed as RESTRICTED airspace) within large block levels (often SFC to 30000 or something similarly large). This does include no radio, and I'm fairly sure that there are Military Only frequencies that are commonly used, since I rarely hear any Panther 22's or anything like that, except when they're being directed on approach like any other aircraft or being cleared through the 'gates'

Some final food for thought: How many times have you gone for Harbour Bridge Orbits and had to hold?

Yarr!