PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is life in the Raf really like??
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2001, 16:03
Chris McCOY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Hello Jet !

I am a "Trials Officer" on site here at Boscombe Down, presently on the Rotary Wing section. The airfield is now operated by a company called "QinetiQ Ltd.", with representatives from the three services also on site. The primary function of the site is to test and evaluate new aircraft and/or new equipment, be they fast jets, helicopters, transport aircraft, or most other air vehicles. Additionally, the Empire Test Pilot's School (ETPS) trains UK Military Test pilots and Flight test Engineers, as well as several from foreign nations. Members of the Southampton University Air Squadron and local Air Training Corps (which is just outside the front gate)each spend some time on site. I would highly recommend the site as a place to see many of the UK's fleet of aircraft in one place, and to see a larger picture of military and civilian life.
Realistically, you can request a day to view the site - no guarantees - or apply for non-paid work experience. In the latter case especially I would recommend contacting Ms. Merrit by phoning directory enquiries on 192, getting QinetiQ's number at Boscombe down, and asking to speak to her directly. I am avoiding giving a direct number for you at this time, but if you have difficulties, please write or e-mail back.

Good Luck and Best Wishes ! This is one of the more exiting sites and there is a more positive view of forces life to see on site.
At present, I am one of the many civilians employed at MOD Boscombe Down airfield.