PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The state of the New Zealand helicopter industry
Old 20th Dec 2007, 04:22
wickednoel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aus is a far better financial prospect than NZ...

I have just moved from Auckland to Wollongong to pursue my Commercial pilots license.

1. Jobs in NZ generally aren't that badly paid, the economic hardship comes from the fact NZ has a high OCR (Ian Callums solution to slightly above the norm inflation rate), high tax rates (the labour govt is a bastard!) a high cost of living and expensive housing, especially in Auckland.
2. Jobs are not going to improve paywise anytime in the near future, mainly because company executives can't afford to pay their own mortgages in NZ!
3. I don't think there is much of a shortage for pilots, there is quite a bit of beuracracy with NZ corporations, most fixed wing pilots are poached by Cathay Pacific and Emirates...From what I have seen helicopter pilots are quite badly paid in NZ.

So all in all, I do think that Australia (despite my love for NZ) is a far better financial prospect than NZ, especially in the long term, even taking into account stamp duty and the inevitable red tape with just about everything over here **Yawn - a month before I receive my medical certificate** . Mind you, things could be changing with the Rudd govt in power? Higher taxes maybe? Interest rates are on the rise...But if you can afford a mortgage free house in NZ and have plenty of money in the bank benefitting from the high OCR then NZ is a kick arse place to live.