PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 25 years of holding at Williamtown
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2007, 04:21
Dick Smith

Received 74 Likes on 29 Posts
Ftrplt, I’ll say it again to make it really clear. When I have been held at Nobbys, the holding has not been because of military operations. I have been held at Nobbys because of IFR airline operations in or out of Williamtown Airport.

If the controller bothered to give the airline a clearance which required an altitude of 1,000 feet by the coast, there would be no need for the holding. Airline pilots have told me that this type of clearance would not be restrictive as they are well over 1,000 feet by the coast, or have turned onto their track before then.

I’m not sure how we can “afford to be more restrictive” in Australia than the USA. You don’t appear to understand that this is a globalised world and we have a free trade agreement with the USA. That means that any additional costs put onto Australian businesses makes us uncompetitive.

I have found in talking to many military people that most appear to have no grasp of how a business actually operates, and how important it is to reduce waste and keep overheads down. I often wonder how these military people run their own home finances. Maybe they think that a business is different.

You appear to be showing a classic resistance to change – i.e. the way we have done it since the 1950s should be the way we keep it, even if it is more costly than what happens in our major competitor countries.