PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Going around...
Thread: Going around...
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2007, 04:00
43Inches

Received 433 Likes on 236 Posts
The part that worried me about the original post is the idea that 300ft level in a light twin is a SAFE altitude, whilst reconfiguring. An engine failure at this point would be difficult to handle especially if gear and flaps were still extended and only medium to moderate power applied.

Whilst max angle of climb would be an excessive move I would suggest you should get a light twin back up to a safe altitude quickly. It would be a good idea to aim to use climb power or more and then if it does prove an overkill you can always reduce it, id rather have more performance than i need than be left wanting. Focus on control and performance in the early stage of the go-round, initiate climb and then worry about other factors.

As far as excessive trim forces in a twin at 300ft agl transitioning to a full power go-round I would not expect much of an issue as you should be trimmed for a higher speed than if you were at 50ft and are people stating they would not use full power from this height?

Have a go at an engine failure in the sim at 300ft at low speed and whilst you've got your head up and looking for traffic. Somtimes actually experiencing the situation may change your mind.