PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Funding
Thread: Funding
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2007, 19:51
mustflywillfly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FlyHigh.

I was in exactly your position a year ago. Although I stayed in the RN.

If you have passed JEFTS then you have everything you need for the PPL. Some refresher training (2-3 hours) and a Skills Test will sort the PPL out (approx cost £500).

It does sound like you will struggle to get the funding for OAT. If you must go Integrated then try CTC. I passed their selection but decided spending so long in NZ wasn't for me (I have a son who needs me around quite badly at the mo!) but my bezzy mate also an ex RN Officer also walked the selection and is just coming to the end of his training. With CTC you need not have any funds at all. No security, nothing. They also guarantee you a job! Although I suspect, post training, you will have to enter a holding pool these days (the industry is looking a little wobbly at the mo).

Although I have kept the big money coming in as an RN Officer for a few years I am making the big jump next year and at 32 am going modular. At the best I reckon I'll end up instructing for a year on almost sod all wages and then try like buggery for a TP position with a regional.

You can work and train, no matter how soul destroying your current job is it is providing some cash! I am afraid that there is no majic pot of money and borrowing is now going to be very expensive and very risky!

Keep the faith, I did, it does work out, eventually! Also RELAX if you are worried about getting to old. This side of 35 is cool. Time to let OAT go?...

MFWF