PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Joining as a SAR Helicopter Pilot/Winchman/Diver
Old 7th Sep 2001, 13:50
Chris McCOY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Joining as a SAR Helicopter Pilot/Winchman/Diver

This question is directed to the persons responsible in the RAF or Royal Navy, HM Coatsguard, Bristows Helicopters, or Bond Helicopters for the recruitment and training of Search and Rescue or Air Ambulance Aircrew. Also, this is directed to serving or ex. SAR Aircrew.

I have a primary interest in pursuing a career as a SAR Pilot, Winchman, Diver, or Medic. I have just turned 28 years old, which is beyond the OFFICIAL entry age for pilot training in the forces. I have some experience medically (EMT, Diver Medic, etc), and flying (including some with ETPS), but do not as yet hold a Pilot's licence, this to be pursued on Helicopters and Aeroplanes this year. I am an MEng(Hons) Degree-qualified Professional Engineer at Boscombe Down. I am currently with International Rescue Corps as a relatively new member, and RNLI Beach rescue and Lifeguards, outside of work hours.

I would very much like to obtain feedback as to the viability of pursuing a future SAR Pilot, Winchman, Diver and/or Medic role with either of your organisations.

Any aid in furthering the pursuit of this aim would be welcomed!

Thank You.