PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ex 10a/b/11 Slow Flight/ Stalling/Spin Avoidance
Old 19th Dec 2007, 16:16
TheOddOne

Location: Down at the sharp pointy end, where all the weather is made.
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think i have an aversion to RC as an instructor(not as a person) and thats never helped
Yes, I can see how that might be getting in the way.

Now, as I've said elsewhere, I've only relatively recently done the FIC and have only taught slow flight and stalling a few times so far. However, I did my original PPL right on the cusp of the change from spin training to incipient stage avoidance (in fact we did both, just to be sure we'd covered all bases) so I can see the history of how we've arrived at what we're doing today.

On the FIC, due to the way the weather was at the time, we didn't sequence the slow flight, then stalling, but with other exercies in between. As was put at the time 'you probably won't have the luxury of teaching them to the same student in sequence' though so far, I have.

I consider that slow flight in my limited experience, should be briefied and then taught as a lesson on its own, followed as soon as practicable by the first of the stalling lessons. I've taken the opportunity to practice/polish climbing and descending with better heading control etc on the way out and back, along with a bit of consolidation of local landmarks and rejoin procedures and radio practice.

I like to think that the few folk I've done stalling with have approached it with much less trepidation after the slow flight lesson than they might otherwise and have also controlled the entry to the stall regime much better.

Just my view,

TheOddOne