PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Arik Air
Thread: Arik Air
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2007, 16:09
Copilot Engaged

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Avsec,
I am skeptical as to why u have so much faith in the current Arik mgmt so explain the following:
1. Arik has a mainly expat mgmt team, the reason for this is to establish a sort of Jar-ops standard. So why are operating standards at arik so low, eg why do the make their crews fly above legal and safe limits?
2. Arik claims it wants to be a world standard airline but it working conditions are not even competitve by Nigerian standards. That explains inability to employ enough pilots (local and expat) andgood quality hands on the ground. Can achieve its world class status if it pays peanuts and employs monkeys. And how are they going to crew the numerous aircraft they have ordered? Another big issue is the fact that key mgmt positions have been vacant for long e.g. DFO, Coo(recently filled).
3. A lot of concerns have been raised concerning the Denim operation. It is like denim operates almost independently from arik.
4. Arik air has very low load factors due to a lack of understanding of the Nigerian domestic market by the management, poor customer service (due to 2. above) and lack of advertising.
I think the mgmt could have done more with the resources they had at their disposal. When arik started up all other airlnes were jittery, the froze recruitment, some even downsized but not the talk from everybody is expansion cos no one sees arik as serious competition. I dont think arik can match vk or aero pound for pound on any route