PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Realistic Time to obtain Licenses/Ratings
Old 19th Dec 2007, 15:08
Carrier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A couple of years ago when flying in Central Africa I was approached for advice by a South African whose son was interested in flying as a career. Below is a copy of the information I sent him. It still applies to anyone learning in Canada. I hope it will be of some help.

"You mentioned that your son is interested in learning to fly for a career. I have been giving this a bit of thought. Yesterday I came across an interesting thread on PPRuNe. I have attached a copy. I am not familiar with the flight schools in SA but have heard good comments about 43 Air School in Port Alfred and Progress Flight Academy in Port Elizabeth. I do not know your son’s name. Perhaps it is Biggles? Anyway, that famous name will do for now. He and you can check it out on the Internet or at the local public library in SA! Here are some things that Biggles should be considering right from the start:

· He should aim from the start to obtain commercial (CPL) and then air transport (ATPL) pilot licences from two countries. I presume he will want an SA licence for one. The other should be from one of the major aviation countries: the USA and Canada or the EU. Go for the biggest and get an FAA licence. Check the SA flight schools to see if they are recognised for both licences as this would make things easier. If not, he will eventually have to go overseas to do the FAA written (computer) examinations and at least one flight test. In the meantime, obtain the red books from Gleim’s for studying for the FAA exams and flight tests.
· Regardless, all flight training and exercises must meet the requirements for both licences. This applies particularly to cross-country, night and instrument flights. If there are differences then the flight must meet the more exacting requirements. He must ensure this, the flight school will not do it for him.
· Aim to get the CPL with multi-engine and instrument ratings. Add-ons such as a tail wheel endorsement or float rating can be done as needed. Try to do it full-time, as fast as possible, and get into that first job.
· It is always difficult to accumulate night cross-country time, particularly as pilot-in-command. He should aim to get night flying time at every opportunity.
· He should do his initial and repeat aviation medicals with a Civil Aviation Medical Examiner who is able to do both SA CAA and FAA medicals. I expect there will be several in SA who are qualified for this. Check the FAA’s website for medical examiners in SA. He will need a first class medical for both countries.
· From day one he should regard the world as his employment market. There is a looming international pilot shortage. Be prepared to go wherever the job is within reason – exclude Iraq, Iran and similar risky spots. Use a computer to keep a record of prospective employers, job contacts, etc. Consider buying a CD-ROM version of JP Airline-fleets International. Many smaller air operators do not show on this but are mentioned on forums such as PPRuNe. Make a note of their details and of the comments.
· The airlines are not the only possible employers. The first job probably will be with a small air operator but later on there are still good career options outside of the airlines. There are many professional pilot jobs outside of the airlines that provide nice pay and working conditions. In Canada 85% of professional pilot jobs are blue collar, whereas only 15% are white collar – airline and corporate. It would be very nice for someone who likes diving, sailing and a laid-back lifestyle to be a Twin Otter captain on floats, day VFR only, in the Maldives or flying a BE1900 or Twin Otter in the Caribbean.
· Although he will probably have to start his first job on a single-engined plane he should try and ensure it is with an employer who has twins that he can move up to. It is vital for the future to build multi-engine time. Take a piston twin over a turbo-prop single such as a Caravan.
· Planes are noisy and cause long term hearing damage. Get the best ANC (active noise cancelling) headset he can afford. The best is the Bose X but it costs US$1,000. Next best would be from Lightspeed Aviation. I have a Lightspeed 20XL that I bought seven years ago and now keep as a backup and a 30XL that I bought for $350 three years ago. Treat it carefully, never lend it, and guard against thieves.
· Aviation is a “who you know” business. From day one he should be making contacts and recording them on a laptop computer using a database or personal contacts application. He should keep in touch with people and use the computer to refresh his memory. These contacts will help him to advance in his career. It’s a tough career to move up in for the first few years.
· Check if there are any bursaries, scholarships or cadetships that he might qualify for. It is always helpful to have someone else pay for part or all of the cost.
· Passports (more than one) must be kept current. If he qualifies now for only an SA passport then he should consider in the long term finding a job in another country (USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, UK) where he can become a citizen. This might become easier as the pilot shortage develops. He would not have to stay there after becoming a citizen but would have the passport and the right to return there in future if necessary. Similarly, have more than one driver’s licence.
· Immunisations for the world must be obtained and kept current ready for an immediate move anywhere. Polio, diphtheria, tetanus, whooping cough, yellow fever, hepatitis A, hepatitis B, typhoid, meningococcal meningitis, Japanese encephalitis, rabies, BCG vaccine for TB. Carry malaria treatment in flight bag.
· Open bank accounts in at least two separate offshore jurisdictions. It is always easier to do this in person because of anti-money laundering procedures. Combine this with a trip for a flight test or a vacation.
· He should monitor the forums on www.pprune.com and subscribe to the free twice-weekly email newsletter from www.avweb.com. He should also try and monitor aviation magazines such as World Airnews, Professional Pilot, and Business & Commercial Aviation. To save costs try and read these at the flight school or public library.
· Always keep flying and keep building PIC time. Apart from the flight school, look for cheap flying elsewhere. I obtained hundreds of hours by towing gliders for Canada’s largest soaring association. This was done on a PPL for the cost of my annual membership. The hours counted towards obtaining the CPL. Then I moved to dropping skydivers, which requires a CPL and for which I was paid.
· It is a mobile lifestyle so consider this when buying clothes, shoes, etc. Appliances, including rechargeable ones, should be dual or multi-voltage to work in different countries and should have warranties that will be honoured worldwide. Comfortable but smart footwear is needed as there can be plenty of time standing in terminal buildings or walking from one part of an airfield to another. Shoes must give good grip for standing on refuelling ladders and on top of wings for refuelling and checking oil levels. I have Etonic Sojourn and Journey shoes, both in black with velcro fastening. Hiker style shoes are useful for flights requiring a stay at safari lodges. I have a black CWU-45/P flight jacket from Alpha Industries Inc that is very useful here in the cooler season. He might want to look at some of the travel clothing available from a company such as Rohan Designs. It’s worth asking them to mail a catalogue anyway. www.rohan.co.uk You also might be interested in some of their gear. I understand there is some good clothing available from Capestorm Outdoor Apparel in SA. He could also obtain a catalogue from L. L. Bean.
· The best pilot shirts come from Landerwood Corporation of Charlotte, NC. Contact Joe Claar at [email protected] Please quote code 2636 – I would get a small credit for a referral. This is something he in turn could benefit from in future.
· Get first rate sunglasses suitable for flying. Check the sunglasses threads on PPRuNe and especially obtain the article on how to select sunglasses from the website of Hidalgos, Inc of Wimberley, Texas. I would suggest a Top-gradient Density Kontraster type of lens and it would help if they also protect from side glare.
· Has he got a computer? I suggest a laptop such as an iBook. Get X-Plane flight simulator for it and a CH Products control yoke or good joystick. If a PC laptop is preferred then use either X-Plane or MS Flight Simulator. The flight sim will be handy later on for practicing instrument scan and procedures. It will save him money when the IFR training starts.
· Some other toys that Father Christmas should consider are a Mini-Maglite AA with belt pouch, a good Swiss army knife or Leatherman tool - I have a Wenger Ranger with belt pouch for just the knife, down the road a handheld GPS with TAWS such as the new Lowrance AirMap 600C but ensure it is the International database version, a Relief Band Explorer RB-EL if there is any tendency towards nausea. A flight bag - think carefully about the size, I have one from Sporty’s that is too big so I normally use a soft sided briefcase with shoulder strap that I obtained from L. L. Bean. A set of International Power & Phone Adaptors, ours is from Targus Canada Ltd. An EPIRB/PLB. Try and obtain catalogues from Sporty’s Pilot Shop, Marv Golden Pilot Supplies and Harry Mendelssohn Pilot Supplies.
· Never fly on an empty stomach. Always eat something, even if it is just a slice of toast.
· Get an email address that works anywhere in the world. I use Yahoo email for sending. Do not use PPRuNe email as it can be received everywhere but is blocked for sending in many countries.

One other option to look into is that of doing the training in the USA. Check into what it would cost at a flight school in Florida. The SA licence could then be done as an add-on.

I hope the above helps. Some of it is in the future but it should be considered now and worked towards."

Last edited by Carrier; 19th Dec 2007 at 15:25. Reason: corrections