PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Old British airline callsigns
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2007, 15:05
The AvgasDinosaur

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the Alidair call sign was pronounced our-leader ?
Dans had a good scheme at one time (E.G. using G-ARAY) Dan-Air 99AY was a positioning flight DAN-AIR 89AY was an engineering flight 79AY was a test flight 69AY was was a ferry flight ( Not sure how that differed from a positioning flight.)
I remember a Dan Comet last minute substitute for a sick 707 being given his clearance at Ringway to Kennedy and reading it back as clearance to Ildewild. When challenged he stated the aircraft knew where Ildewild was but would never be able to find Kennedy. Bit more relaxed in those days ( Ahhhh !!!!) When KLM changed to flight numbers the late night DC7CF from Amsterdam would often call KLM James Bond in place of KLM 007 and often as not would advise on the 24 localiser somewhere abeam Doggar Bank, and get his straight in approach approved.
I recall albion as being the call sign of BEA Scottish division rather than Northeast who I'm sure used BKS and then Northeast except the Tridents which used Norjet. Wasn't there a time when BOAC had a mixed fleet the Comets used "Jet Speedbird" as a call sign?
Apropos the Court Line Beverly, Hunting Clan used two early production/prototypes on civil registrations in the Middle East somewhere when they were almost brand shiny new. Anyone recall them visiting Hunting at Heathrow (or should I say LAP in this context?).
Great thread thanks to all contributors.
Some other call signs from the past
Eagle EG
Pelican DP
Tradewinds FF ?
Transmeridian KK
Scimitar ??
Anglo ??
Ace freighters used registrations don't know if they ever had a designator
Be lucky
David