PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Atlas Air questions.
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2007, 14:09
cr7driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for the help.
Well, at the zone we are furloughing and downgrading 6 or so captains back to FO. I am sure that this is a typical Evergreen end of the year tactic and "hopefuly" it will pick back up sometime in the spring or maybe earlier. I am in no immediate danger, but chances of upgrading have just been pushed back until there is positive movement on the list. I just hate this constant hire/fire stuff that the zone is famous for. Allthough, in the time that I have been here, they have only furloughed once and that was for a 2 week period and then hired for all of 2007. But we did lose 22 FOs this year to greener pastures.
What I like about Atlas:
No more jumpseat worries as the commute is payed for from gateway to base. Better pay than I will ever see at the zone. Better benefits package. Having a diverse business model (80% ACMI and 20% military). Here at the zone, that is exactly reversed. In fact we have maybe only one ACMI contarct and thats it, the rest is ad hoc stuff that we pick up.
Type rating (PIC) on the 400. Evergreen is supposed to get 400s, but that may or may not happen. The LCF 400 is here, but they hardly fly at all. Atlas/Polar does not fly into any active warzones. Evergreen does, and they don't compensate you for it. This to me is a big reason to leave.
What I like about the zone:
Upgrade less than 2 years "if" things pick back up. Chance to build PIC time and then get out! I stand a better chance of bidding a good schedule here. and hence my QOL is not bad at all. Had Thanksgiving off and will have XMAS off as well. Hate the jumseating bit, but like that they pay for our hotels. I have to say that overall I have been pretty happy here, but things are starting to change.

Well the decesion is tough. Can y'all weigh in with some more thoughs.
Thanks again.