PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A late-ish stabilisation
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2007, 13:12
Huck
Trash du Blanc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm going to say some things. They're going to be heretical. (Forgive me Jesus, and be with the pygmies in New Guinea....)

When I was a young pup I flew for a regional carrier. Most of our approaches were visual, and maybe 30% of those were at night.

When I was cleared for a visual approach, I reached down and closed my Jepp book. Or I pulled up the ground chart - but only if I'd never been there before.

Then I flew my aircraft based on my view of the runway. I turned final somewhere around 400', somewhere near my target speed, and maybe at full flaps, maybe not. My only requirement: a smooth touchdown in the touchdown zone. Everything else was up to me.

What aircraft? Everything up to and including the BAe-146.

Flash forward: now - at 1000 feet - I have to be on speed, on glidepath, fully configured, engines stable at approach setting, checklists completed, sterile cockpit, and if there is an IFR approach available (and there always is, and it's always an ILS) I have to brief it and fly it. Autopilot use is encouraged, autothrottle use is damn near mandatory.

Sounds conservative, right? Safer? The proper way to ensure zero accidents?

Here's my little secret: I was ten times the pilot back in the old days. I could make my aircraft walk and talk. I knew the difference in power settings on final between a heavy landing and just a middling one. I could take my crab out at 10 feet in the flare and kiss the ground with the upwind wheel. I FLEW MY AIRCRAFT - I didn't just watch it fly.

Not the most politically correct view of stabilized approaches, I know, but I'm a bad bad boy.

So... did the guy make a smooth landing? Was he in the touchdown zone? Maybe he's a little bit of a rebel too.....