PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia's 'smooth' landings
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2007, 13:04
CAPTAIN WOOBLAH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Hey there my little sisters,

I can stir you up and have my say and yes I have only been suspended once from PPrune. I can take it like a man and sticks and stones can break my bones but hey words can never hurt me.

On a serious note though, with regard to training. Let me say this. It is ok to let the trainee fly outside of his envelope but it is criminal to allow the trainee to fly out of your envelope. During revenue line training the trainer must be extra careful and vigilant. Demonstrating techniques that demand corrections that exceed basic passenger comfort should be only demonstrated and flown in simulators. In reality the two areas where things go wrong quickly is from brakes released to the second segment and at the FAF to a safe taxi speed. What a trainer is looking for overall is the ability to adhere to procedures and SOP. Not Biggles type flying skills. The idea is to train by observation and then introduce the hands on aspect at a rate commensurate to the trainees learning curve. Always take over early even if it seems premature to the trainee. Always fly the sector if the WX is a bit dodgey. This is very evident in heavy jets. Perhaps the worst case situation in a 4 ENG jet is an outboard ENG failure low speed / light weight on a slippery runway at TKOF. Especially if the FO training is doing to TKOF and the failure occurs at the thrust lever handover point.

With regard to my flying skills and the odour of my $h*t. I can tell you that there isn't any thing I haven't F**ked up at least twice in my career.

So on this note, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year & Safe flying to all.

Wooblah.