PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Disband the Royal Air Force?
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2007, 12:40
Master of None

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Real Shortcomings in Helmand

During my time in theatre it has struck me that the real problem is, not the shortage of CAS but, the shortage of troops. Whenever involved in the plannning of a Op the limiting factor was always the number of teeth arm soldiers. This was always frustrating when one considered the number of infantry batallions sitting in the UK providing no tangible benefit to the 'war' in either of the current areas of note. If this is the case what are they for, surely one of the most expensive assets is manpower, with health, housing, etc taken into account. If we disbanded all the regiments the Army cannot field on Ops at any one time then the money from that could be used far more beneficially. If they can be fielded then what are the Bn commanders thinking, get your troops onto transport and get into the mix. Holding the ground so hard won and then consolidating it and winning the hearts of the local populace will be much easier with a significant increase of manpower.

Before you reply to this post please consider that it is 100% tongue in cheek, and my effort to explain the reality of the situation in the current British Military to Vortex.